A splendid example of Sikkimese architecture and fine workmanship, the Namgyal Institute of Tibetology is one of the most important structures that has promoted and sponsored useful and constructive research on the Tibetan religion, history, art, culture, language and literature.
Located in the Tadong region of the Sikkim capital of Gangtok, the land for this institute was donated by the Late Chogyal King of Sikkim, Sir Tashi Namgyal. The building is one of the largest repository of Tibetan works, located outside the Tibet region. It has a rich library and a wonderful collection of Tibetan iconography as well as religious art, ritual objects, mementos, jewelry, documentaries and books on Sikkimese tradition and culture.
The Namgyal Institute of Tibetology was established in the year 1958. Its foundation stone was laid by The 14th Dalai Lama and the institute was declared open by India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on 1st October, 1958.
In its service to the Tibetan world and knowledge, the institute has published the Bulletin of Tibetology since 1964 as well as many other books on the subject over its long period of existence. One of the dynamic institutes for Sikkimese Studies, the place is a magnet for many students and tourists arriving in Sikkim.
Opening Hours: 10 AM to 4 PM