Chandni Chowk was built by Shah Jahan's favorite daughter- Jahanara Begum in 1650 as a compliment to the imperial habitat – the Red Fort. The name Chandni Chowk has legends contradicting on the origin of the name. Some say that the silvery shimmer created by the moonlight on the pool water of Chandni Chowk gives the place its name while others opine that Chandni Chowk is named after the silversmiths of the place. A single steer was introduced as Chandni Chowk when it was built. But later on with the flourishing trade, it spread from the streets near the Red Fort till Fatehpuri Masjid and even after three and a half centuries later, Chandni Chowk is addressed by its original name.