History of Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus
The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus was formerly known as Victoria Terminus. It was built in 1888 during British colonial rule. Designed by the British architect F.W. Stevens, the structure became a symbol of Bombay (Mumbai). The city got the sobriquet of 'Gothic City' due to this magnificent building's architectural style. The Terminus is the hub for major business activities. It is one magnificent amalgam of British and Indian designs.
The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus was the headquarters of Great Indian Peninsula Railway and was the station of the first train ride in India which traveled from Mumbai to Thane. Later this station was redesigned and rebuilt. It got its name from the then ruling British royal, Queen Victoria. The construction of the station took 10 years to complete and was opened to the Queen’s Golden Jubilee in 1887. At the time, the building was the most expensive structure in Mumbai costing 260,000 Sterling Pounds. In 1996, the Minister of Railways, Suresh Kalmadi, changed the name to the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST).