Church of St. Francis of Assisi
Way back in 1517 eight Franciscan friars arrived in India, secured a few houses from the then Governor, and later constructed a small chapel with three altars and a choir. Consecrated to the Holy Ghost , Church of St. Francis of Assisi was built in 1521 but later pulled down and the present church was built on the same spot in 1661 retaining only the entrance of the original church.
Located in Old Goa, Panjim, in Goa, this beautifully whitewashed church stands to the west of the Se Cathedral church, and today houses part of the Archaeological Museum . It displays prehistoric items from a distant tribal past as also remnants of Goa Dourada, Golden Goa . The church, built of laterite blocks and being lime-plastered, has a nave with three chapels on either side, a choir, two altars in the transept and a main altar. To the north of the main altar are a belfry and a sacristy. On either side of the main altar are gorgeous large paintings on wood, depicting scenes from the life of St. Francis of Assisi.