Built by the Portuguese in 1612 AD, the Aguada Fort was strategically built near the Mandovi River to shield Goa from any external enemy attacks from the sea by the Dutch and the Marathas. The fort has walls that are 5 meters high and 1.3 meters wide. Partly converted intocentral jail, the fort happens to be the largest prison in Goa.
The fort derived its name from the Portuguese word Agua, meaning water. True to the name, this famous fort has a large well and many natural springs around it. A major attraction of this imposing fort is the 13 meter high lighthouse built in 1864. Earlier, the lighthouse housed an enormous bell salvaged from the ruins of the St. Augustus monastery , but it was later shifted to the Church of Mary Immaculate Conception at Panaji.