Facts And Figures
- Total Population: 2,74,102
- Best time to visit: August-December
- Area: 50 sq km
- Languages: Kannada and English
- STD Code: 08188
One of the highest waterfalls in India Jog Falls is one of the major attractions in Karnataka. Created on Sharavathi River, Jog Falls is also known by alternative names of Gerusoppe Falls, Gersoppa Falls and Jogada Gundi.
Jog is located in Shimoga District of Karnataka, 30 km away from Sagara, 104 km from Shimoga, and 379 km away from Bangalore.
Best Time To Visit
For a Tour to Jog Falls, the best time to visit is between the months of August and December.
Jog Falls is formed by the Sharavathi River, gushing down from a height of 253 meters.
The river originates at Ambuthirtha in Thirthahalli taluk, flows north-west through the Western Ghats forming the Jog Falls before joining the Arabian Sea at Honavar.
Make your Tour to Jog Falls memorable by visiting these famous tourist places near Jog Falls –
Places around Jog Falls
- Honnemaradu: Situated on the back waters of River Sharavathi, this island formed with the backwater of Linganmakki Dam is famous for water sports.
Tunga Anicut Dam: Situiated 15 km from Shimoga, this dam was built across the river Tungabadra. You can enjoy boat trips around the lake.
- Lion Tiger Reserve: This Lion - Tiger Reserve / Safari is located nearly 12 km from Shimoga towards Jog Falls.
Explore the land of Jog Falls, visiting the places around it, while on a Tour to Jog Falls –
Fairs And Festivals
- Sagara: A small town in the district of Shimoga, located 30 km from Jog Falls, Sagara is home to several ancient temples.
- Siddapura: a small town in Kodagu district, Siddapura lies in Western Ghats, providing captivating views of the Sahyadri mountain ranges.
- Sirsi: A town in Uttara Kannada district, Sirsi is like a hill-station set amidst emerald green forests and several waterfalls.
Where to stay
- Ganesh Festival: Black marble idol of Lord Ganesh is worshipped every year at Sirsi, a place near Jog Falls.
Enjoy a comfortable stay while on a Tour to Jog Falls at the hotels in Jog Falls, offering a remarkable blend of tradition and modernity. Some of the major hotels in Jog Falls are Sharavati Tourist Home, Tunga Tourist Home, Inspection Bungalow, Jog Falls Guest House, etc.
How To Reach
- By Air:The nearest airport is at Bangalore.
- By Rail :You can take a train to Sagara from Bangalore, from where you can get into buses to Jog.
- By Road: You can reach Jog Falls directly by availing of buses to Jog from Bangalore. Alternatively, from Bangalore you can take a bus to Sagara, from where local bus to Jog is available.