Summer has arrived, so you need to make immediate plans for a perfect summer holiday in India. India spoils visitors with exciting choices for a summer vacation with your friends, family, and loved ones.
Enjoy pleasant weather, explore wonderful sights, and indulge in interesting things to do while escaping high temperatures and the hustle-bustle of cities. Before the mercury rises, be prepared with your travel plans for summer holiday destinations in India. Get customizable tour packages with us to India’s top summer places.
List of Top 21 Summer Holiday Destinations in India
- Shimla – The Queen of Hills
- Manali – Snow Capped Peaks
- Andaman and Nicobar – Beach Holiday
- Darjeeling – Large Collection of Tea
- Munnar -Tea Plantations
- Rishikesh – Yoga and Adventure
- Lakshadweep Islands – Sun-kissed Beaches
- Shillong – Lush Green Hills
- Ooty – Extensive Tea Gardens
- Gangtok – The Land of Monasteries
- Ladakh – Monasteries, Adventure, Beauty
- Mahabaleshwar – Scenic Viewpoints
- Nainital – Pleasant Weather
- Kalimpong – Tibetan Handicrafts
- Coonoor – Production of Nilgiri Tea
- Auli – Hiking and Skiing
- Lonavala – Lush Green Valleys
- Kodaikanal– Cool and Misty Weather
- Dharamshala – Buddhist Culture
- Dalhousie – Cool Climate
- Pondicherry – French Capital of India
1. Shimla – The Queen of Hills
Shimla is an ideal destination to spend the summer season in India. The ‘Queen of Hill Stations’ in Himachal Pradesh is one of the favorite holiday getaways. The salubrious climate was in fact the reason that the British colonies settled here every summer. There are several accommodation options and amazements. So come with your loved ones to the town, listed among the top places for a summer vacation in India. Book Shimla packages with TOI for a hassle-free journey.
Things to do in Shimla:
- Hop on the Toy Train from Kalka to Shimla.
- White water rafting at Tattapani.
- Linger around the Mall Road to eat, shop and enjoy.
- Visit the beautiful Christ Church on the Ridge near the mall.
- Trek to Jakhu Hanuman Temple, perched on top of a hill.
- Explore the British architecture of Viceregal Lodge, Christ Church, etc.
- A visit to Kufri, Chail and Mashobra, beautiful hill getaways.
- Get a family photo in the traditional attire for a fond memory.
How to reach Shimla
The Himalayan Toy Train is one of the best ways to arrive in the hill town. Frequent buses, cabs are available from major cities. The nearest airport is in Chandigarh.
2. Manali – Snow Capped Peaks
One of the popular summer holiday destinations in India, Manali in Himachal Pradesh has the perfect combination of scenic beauty, adventure, and everything you need for a memorable vacation. The picturesque town is surrounded by snow-capped mountain peaks and greenery nurtured by River Beas. Plan a Manali tour and enjoy the sights from Indian legends. Try out trekking, river rafting, paragliding, zorbing, etc. The highlight of your holiday is enjoying the snow at the Rohtang Pass.
Things to do in Manali:
- Sightseeing at Hadimba Temple, Van Vihar Himalayan Nyingmapa Gompa monastery, Club House, etc.
- Indulge in adventure sports at Solang Valley
- Visit Rohtang Pass for snow.
- Go river rafting in the River Beas.
- Short trips to Kullu, Manikaran Gurudwara, Jogini Falls, Arjuna Gufa, Bhrigu Lake and Vashisht Hot-Water Springs.
- Picnic at the apple orchards.
- Camping and trekking.
How to reach Manali
The road to Manali is a beauty, therefore the best way to get to the hill town is on a bus, cab or your own private vehicle. The nearest airport is in Bhuntar, 50 km. away. The nearest railway station is Chandigarh, 350 km away.
3. Andaman and Nicobar – Beach Holiday
Beaches in the summer may not seem appealing but this thought certainly changes when you are in Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal. Enjoy the perfect summer holiday in India by relaxing on the sandy shores, exploring the cerulean waters, tropical rainforests, and historical sites with amazing adventure sports. Relish the delicious tastes of tropical fruits and coconut water on your holiday in this haven.
Things to do in Andaman:
- Visit Port Blair, Havelock Island, Neil Island, and Radhanagar Beach among many.
- Adventure sports like swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, sea-walking.
- Bird watching in the tropical rainforests.
- Visit in passing India’s only active volcano in the Barren Island.
- Enjoy picturesque sunrise and sunset.
- Bask in the sun, play in the blue waters, and laze in the languid beach resorts.
How to reach Andaman
The islands are quite remote. Flight connections to Port Blair are available from selected airports, so are sea cruises. Kolkata and Chennai are the two cities with connectivity to the island archipelago in Bay of Bengal.
4. Darjeeling – Large Collection of Tea
Plan a trip to Darjeeling in West Bengal, one of the popular summer holiday getaways in the North East. Presided by the majestic Kanchenjunga (8,586 meters above sea level) and snuggled by the emerald-green tea plantations. Avail the beautiful sights created by nature and man. Learn about Tibetan roots at the monasteries and indulge in delectable treats, shopping, and more.
Things to do in Darjeeling:
- Ride the Toy Train to get to the hill town.
- Soak in the bliss at Batasia Loop and Gorkha War Memorial.
- Explore Tea Gardens at Happy Valley Tea Estate.
- Watch the majestic sunrise from Tiger Hill
- Trek to the Peace Pagoda at Charlemont Hill.
- Explore the wildlife at Padmaja Naidu Zoological Park.
- Shop for treats at the Mall Road.
How to reach
The hill town in North East India is best accessible by the Toy Train. Jalpaiguri is the nearest railway station and the closest airport is in Siliguri. Cabs frequent ply to the hill town.
5. Munnar – Tea Plantations
God’s Own Country, Kerala, is not very far behind in being host to popular summer holiday destinations in India. Munnar settled in the lush lap of Western Ghats is a pleasant escape when the heat rises. So, plan a trip to Munnar with our tailor-made packages and enjoy the beautiful sights, tea plantations, unique flora and fauna, aroma of spices, and pleasant weather. With so much to see, do, and enjoy, why go elsewhere?
Things to do in Munnar:
- Enjoy the lush beauty of tea gardens.
- Visit Kundala Lake, Echo Point and Elephant Lake
- Trek to Anamudi Peak
- Explore Tata Tea Museum
- Pay a visit to Chithirapuram, Devikulam, and Chinnakanal
- Stay in a tree house
- Trekking to the echo point, mountain biking, Shikara ride in Kundala Lake
- Elephant safari at the Carmelagiri Elephant Park
How to reach Munnar
Munnar is the beautiful hill station of Kerala and well connected to cities. Kochi International Airport and Ernakulam Railway station are the closest air and rail connection.
6. Rishikesh – Yoga and Adventure
Want to experience the best of spirituality and adventure? Rishikesh is one of the best destinations in India for summer holidays, as you will spend time on the banks of River Ganga at the foothills of the Himalayas in Uttarakhand. This holy town has the reputation of being the World Capital of Yoga and a hub of adventures. And if you are interested, browse through our Rishikesh packages and embark on an exciting journey! Find bliss in yoga centers, ashrams, temples, and shots of adrenaline with river rafting, cliff jumping, fox flying, India’s highest bungee jump, and other adventure sports.
Things to do in Rishikesh
- River rafting in River Ganga
- Camping on the river banks
- Body surfing
- Fox-flying on wires suspended between two mountains.
- Visit ancient temples
- Learn all about Yoga
- Indulge in Ayurveda and meditation at the Ashrams.
How to reach Rishikesh
Nestled at the foothills of Himalayas in Uttarakhand, Rishikesh has closest international connection with Delhi Airport or Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun. The nearest railway station is in Haridwar.
7. Lakshadweep Islands – Sun-kissed Beaches
Are you looking for a beach summer holiday in India? Plan a trip to the Lakshadweep Islands, which is not just India’s but one of the world’s most spectacular tropical island systems. The islands tucked away in the Laccadive Sea, a few hundred kilometers from the Indian shore, is perfect for an early summer vacation in India. These islands shine like emeralds in contrast to the cerulean waters. So get ready for a vacation in a remote location, amid beautiful scenery, with plentiful adventures.
Things to do in Lakshadweep:
- Explore the beautiful coral reefs.
- Enjoy swimming, wind-surfing, diving, snorkeling and kayaking.
- Savor the tropical fruits, fresh coconut waters while relaxing in the sands.
How to reach
8. Shillong – Lush Green Hills
Travel to the northeast region of India and explore the beauty that Shillong possesses. The capital of Meghalaya, Shillong, is the apt introduction to the bliss of the North East. The beautiful hill station is well-known for its pleasing weather, lush greenery, sparkling lakes, and waterfalls. The city is also known as the ‘Scotland of the East’ because its landscape and weather is similar to Scotland. It is one of the top places in India that is perfect for a summer holiday.
Things to do in Shillong:
- Boating in Umiam Lake
- Sightsee Elephant Falls, Shillong Peak, Sweet Falls, Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures, Lady Hydari Park etc.
- Angling at Dawki
- Trekking to Meghalaya Living Root Bridge, Kyllang Rock and Sophet Bneng
- Camping, Horse riding, rock climbing and waterfall rappelling
- River rafting or Kayaking at Kynshi River
How to reach
Shillong Airport in Umroi is the closest airport. Bus services are provided by Meghalaya Transport Corporation. Guwahati railway station is the nearest railway station situated at a distance of 105 km from Shillong.
9. Ooty – Extensive Tea Gardens
If you are a couple, one of the most popular hill stations in South India, Ooty is perfect for a summer holiday in India. Snuggled in Nilgiris, the hill town has been a favorite hangout in the rising temperatures that too from the days of the British Raj. The pleasant weather adds to the romance, along with lush greenery snuggling you.
The Toy Train ride Ooty is one of the experiences you should definitely try. Enjoy exploring tea estates, flower gardens, colonial attractions, waterfalls, etc. Do not miss the adventures and homemade chocolates.
Things to do in Ooty:
- Pay a visit to Coffee, tea plantations, botanical gardens.
- A fun Toy Train Ride in Nilgiri Mountain Railways.
- Trekking and Camping at Avalanche Lake.
- Enjoy a game of golf at the Golf Course.
- Picnic at the Emerald Lake, Kamaraj Sagar Dam, etc.
- Shop for delicious chocolates.
- Marvel at the Doddabetta Peak for an exceptional view of the Nilgiri hills.
How to reach Ooty
The Nilgiri Mountain railways is the best and easy way to get to reach the hill town. Tamil Nadu State Road Transport Corporation (TNSRTC) and many private bus services operate on regular basis. The nearest airport is Coimbatore Airport 95 km from Ooty.
10. Gangtok – The Land of Monasteries
Sikkim’s capital city, Gangtok is one of the popular holiday places in the North East. People from all across the world visit the town to enjoy the natural beauty, pay homage to its beautiful monasteries and embark on treks and other adventure activities. Summer is a good time to visit as the weather remains at its best. Get ready to be refreshed by the charms of Sikkim this summer holiday.
Note: Foreigners need a Restricted Area Permit to visit any part of Sikkim, including Gangtok. This permit is also known as Inner Line Permit.
Things to do in Gangtok:
- River Rafting in Teesta
- Riding a yak at Tsomgo Lake
- Paragliding, and ropeway cable-ride from Deorali
- Visit the Rumtek monastery
How to reach Gangtok
Gangtok is easily accessible by road, rail and air. The closest airport is in Bagdogra and the nearest railway station in Jalpaiguri, West Bengal. Cabs making a 4-5 hours journey to Sikkim’s capital are available from both.
11. Ladakh – Monasteries, Adventure, Beauty
Plan holidays this summer to Ladakh with TOI and gains life experiences. Ladakh, the ‘Land of High Passes’, is a region in Jammu and Kashmir where the weather is not just cold but one of the coldest in the world. It is truly one of the best summer holiday places in India. Get ready to experience adventures, rugged landscape, high-altitude mountain passes, crystal-clear lakes, serene Tibetan monasteries, quaint villages, and weather that totally makes you forget summers.
Things to do in Ladakh:
- Explore Leh city’s attractions like Leh Palace and Shanti Stupa.
- Spend days at the Zanskar Valley, Pangong Tso Lake, Tso Moriri, and Hemis National Park.
- Visit monasteries of Ladakh.
- Photo stops at Khardung-La Pass, Magnetic hill, etc.
- River rafting on the River Indus.
- Watch the Llamas perform Chhams during festivals.
- Ride a double-humped Bactrian camel in the Nubra Valley.
How to reach Ladakh?
The best way to reach Ladakh is by road. Either drive from Manali or from Srinagar or take both the routes alternatively. You can also fly to the Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport, Leh.
12. Mahabaleshwar – Scenic Viewpoints
Visit Mahabaleshwar, one of the hill stations in the Western Ghats, with our well-designed packages. Known for mulberries, raspberries, gooseberries, exciting trekking trails, and the perfect weather, it is one of the top places for a summer vacation in India. Enjoy panoramic views of the forested hills from the vantage points. Soak in the bliss of the golden sunrises. Relax during your stay or go trekking on the natural trails.
Things to do in Mahabaleshwar:
- Sightsee attractions like Mahabaleshwar Temple and Pratapgad Fort.
- Trekking on the nature trails.
- Attend the Strawberry Festival, which is celebrated 9 days in May.
- Holy pilgrimage to Shri Kshetra Mahabaleshwar Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Boating on Venna Lake.
How to reach Mahabaleshwar?
Drive to Mahabaleshwar from Pune. MSRTC (Maharashtra State Road Transport Service) runs frequent buses. Pune, 120 km. away is the most convenient airport as well as railway station.
13. Nainital – Pleasant Weather
Nainital is, without a doubt, one of the top places in India that are perfect for a summer holiday. The hill town of Uttarakhand is known for its magical lakes, breathtaking views of snow-clad mountains, and small-town charm. Enjoy the romantic boat rides on Naini Lake or other lakes nearby. Set far away from pollution, noisy traffic, and the hustle-bustle of the metropolitan cities, enjoy a refreshing vacation.
Things to do in Nainital
- Visit the Naina Devi Temple and Raj Bhavan, among others.
- Visit Snow Point by cable car for views of snow-capped mountains.
- Trek to Tiffin Top or Dorothy’s seat.
- Boating at Naini Lake, Bhimtal, Sattal, Naukuchiatal, etc.
- Shopping at Tibetan market.
- Boating, Nature walks, horse riding, trekking, wildlife sightseeing, etc.
How to reach Nainital
Drive to the hill city for the scenic beauty. Pantnagar Airport, 65 km from Nainital is the nearest air connection while Kathgodam Railway Station, 34 km from Nainital offers train connections.
Looking for a peaceful weekend in the lap of nature? Book Nainital tours with Tourism of India at great deals!