Nestled on the Coromandel Coast along the Bay of Bengal, Tamil Nadu is land of incredible holiday destinations. The land of diversity is the land of ancient culture, relaxing, adventure, and incredible. For a memorable vacation in Tamil Nadu, explore choices from historic destinations to lush mountains, sandy beaches, roaring waterfalls or cities that match pace with the modern world. Come with family, friends or for honeymoon this South Indian state has it all for a delightful time. Indulge in sightseeing, mouthwatering food, exciting shopping, adventures and experiences that make an unforgettable vacation.
Here is a list of some of the best holiday destinations in Tamil Nadu:
The incredible capital of the state, Chennai is one of the best holiday destinations in Tamil Nadu. Home to beautiful temples, churches, museums, golden beaches, here you can get a real glimpse of South India. Culture, history, or art, food, shopping or other enriching experiences, Chennai is a place you should definitely consider visiting on your holiday!
Best Time to Visit Chennai
November to February
Things to do in Chennai
- Pray at the famous Kapaleeshwarar Temple
- Shop for silk sarees, ornaments, brass figurines, etc.
- Visit Fort St. George Church
- Explore the museums
- Spend time at Marina Beach and Eliot’s Beach
- Enjoy the breathtaking View From Thalankuppam Pier
- Visit Birla Planetarium
- Indulge in the famous local food
The city of the holy Meenakshi Amman Temple, Madurai is an incredible holiday destination in Tamil Nadu that you must definitely visit. The soul of the ancient Tamil Civilization rests in this city. Settled along the Vaigai River, the pilgrim town wins the hearts of visitors with its impressive Dravidian-style architecture, delicious South Indian food, shopping and endearing people.
Best Time to Visit Madurai
December to February
Things to do in Madurai
- Visit the famous Meenakshi and Thiruparankundram Temples
- Explore the Gandhi Museum
- Visit the Vaigai Dam
- Go shopping for cotton fabrics and batiks, gold jewellery, traditional craft products
- Savor steaming-hot feather-soft idlis and crisp brown dosas
- Explore the rich legacy of Carnatic music
One of the most beautiful places that also offer an insight into history, Mahabalipuram, is next on our list of best holiday destinations in Tamil Nadu. The group of monuments in Mahabalipuram has been granted the status of UNESCO World Heritage Site. Built by the Pallavas in the7-8th century are in essence the grandeur of the Dravidian Style architecture with narratives from Indian epics and other sects of Hinduism.
Best Time to Visit Mahabalipuram
November to February
Things to do in Mahabalipuram
- Marvel at finesse of one of the largest open-air rock reliefs in the world, the Descent of Ganges
- Explore Panch Rathas, Sea Shore Temple and cave temples
- Pose with Krishna’s Butterball
- Attend the Mamallapuram Dance Festival
- Marvel at the exquisite display at the Seashell Museum
The sacred pilgrimage town in Tamil Nadu, Rameshwaram is one of the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu. Hindu devotees visit the holy town throughout the year. Temples, holy sites and legends from Indian Epic Ramayana create the ambiance of spiritual bliss. The scared pilgrimage, Char Dham Yatra is not considered complete until visiting the divine Ramanathaswamy Temple of Rameshwaram.
Best Time to Visit Rameshwaram
October to April
Things to do in Rameshwaram
- Pray at the holy Ramanathaswamy Temple, one of the 12 Jyotirlingas in India dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Explore the remnants of the mythical Ram Setu, at Adam’s Bridge
- Visit Dhanushkodi, ghost town with interesting ruins.
- Marvel at the Pamban Bridge, linking the island to mainland.
Kanchipuram is not just one of the best in Tamil Nadu but a delightful experience of history, religion, culture and entertainment. Once the capital of Pallavas, a ruling dynasty in South India and patrons of art, architecture and culture. Know as ‘the golden city of thousand temples’, the city draws pilgrims from all over the globe. Kanchipuram’s silk sarees are a must buy as are a taste of the mouthwatering cuisine.
Best Time to Visit Kanchipuram
November to April
Things to do in Kanchipuram
- Pray at the holy Ekambareswarar Temple, Kamakshi Amman Temple, Devarajaswami Temple, etc.
- Experience the lavish heritage at the 90-yearl old mansion of Kanchi Kudil
- Visit Vedantangal Bird Sanctuary, renowned for rare water birds
The tip of India, Kanyakumari is known for beauty, history, heritage, religion and amazing experiences. Witness to the merge of Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea, this beach town is one of the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu. The delightful view at sunrise and sunset at Cape Comorin is breathtaking as are holidays here.
Best Time to Visit Kanyakumari
October to April
Things to do in Kanyakumari
- Jetty ride to Vivekananda Rock Memorial
- Bathe in the cool ocean waters
- Pray at the holy Devi Kanya Kumari Temple
- Visit the divinely Suchindrum holy town
- Pay a visit to the beautiful Padmanabhapuram Palace
- Marvel at the mighty Vivekananda Rock Memorial & Tiruvalluvar Statue braving the waves.
Lush beauty, marvelous Dravidian temple architecture, a UNESCO World Heritage Site- Brihadeeshwara Temple and a number of other delights brings us to our next tourist destination to visit in Tamil Nadu, Thanjavur. The city is enveloped by lush fertile lands and therefore given the title of ‘The Rice Bowl of Tamil Nadu’. One of its kind and a thing to definitely not miss, the town is known for Tanjore paintings, cotton and silk sarees.
Best Time to Visit Thanjavur
November to March
Things to do in Thanjavur
- Pray at Brihadeeshwara Temple, one of the Great Chola Living Temples
- Go temple hopping at Thirumananjeri, Sukkiran, Airavateshwara temple
- Explore treasures at Serfoji Mahal Library
- Marvel at Tanjore Palace
Trichy, officially named Tiruchirappalli is an ancient city in Tamil Nadu with a number of tourist delights. Settled along the Cauvery River, the bustling city is known for a vast history. Dating to the 3rd century BC, the city has been ruled by Chola rulers then Pallavas, Vijanagara, Pandiya and later by British. Every era has left behind their remains and now has become a part of the city culture. The bustling city also has delightful food stalls and markets for a good time.
Best Time to Visit Trichy
November to March
Things to do in Trichy
- Explore the Rockfort Temple
- Pray at Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, 1st of the 108 Divya Desams (Vishnu Temples)
- Get blessings at Jambukeshwara, Erumbeeswarar, Vayalur Murugan temples
A unique treasure in Tamil Nadu, Chidambaram is a holy pilgrimage town. Known for the Thillai Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram is the seat of cosmic dancer- Nataraja a form of Lord Shiva. The town is the holy pilgrimage site for believers of Shiva and Mahakali equally. The temple is a Dravidian architectural highlight. The form of Lord Shiva in Ananda Tandava pose – the Cosmic Dance of bliss is a true architectural finesse.
Best Time to Visit Chidambaram
October to March.
Things to do in Chidambaram
- Get blessing at the Natarajar Temple- shrine to cosmic dancer form of Lord Shiva
- Pray to the Akasa Lingam called as the Chidambara Rahasyam
- Thillai Kali Amman temple
- Explore the markets
- Savor some delightful street food
Surrounded by the Western Ghats, Coimbatore along the banks of the Noyyal River is one of the most popular places to visit in Tamil Nadu. The city is nicknamed the ‘Manchester of South India’, owing to its cotton production and plethora of textile industries but that is not all. Interesting sites, religious temples, waterfalls, lakes, museums, etc, offer a good holiday in South India.
Best Time to Visit Coimbatore
September to March.
Things to do in Coimbatore
- Get blessings at Dhyanalinga Yogic Temple, Marudhamalai Hill Temple, Perur Siva Temple,
- Attend festivities of Kundam Thiru Vizha
- Trekking and camping expeditions
- Taste South Indian Cuisines
- Marvel at the Adiyogi Shiva Statue
- Awe at 3-D at Gass Forest Museum
Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary
Tamil Nadu is blessed by nature and to prove this fact we come to Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary. Natural bliss coupled with adventure, Mudumalai is one of the incredible holiday destinations in Tamil Nadu. Located in the verdant Nilgiri hills the national park is home to many species of the animal kingdom including, Tigers, a variety of birds, insects and even many rare species of trees. Nature lovers are in for a treat as the wildlife park connects the Eastern and Western Ghats. Wildlife adventure enthusiasts
Best Time to Visit Mudumalai
October to May
Things to do in Mudumalai
- Safari to spot Tigers, leopards, golden jackals, and more
- Capture the beautiful landscapes
- Stay at the forest houses
The ‘Queen of Hill Stations’ Ooty is without doubt one of the most beautiful holiday destinations in Tamil Nadu. Lush tea and coffee plantations map the landscape. Waterfalls, lakes, viewpoints, museums, temples are amazing to explore. Arrive to the scenic town in hills on the Nilgiri Toy Train. Go trekking, boating on nature walks and enjoying the roses in the bloom at the gardens. Home-made chocolate is a temptation you must try.
Best Time to Visit Ooty
October to June.
Things to do in Ooty
- Ride on Nilgiri Toy Train, a World Heritage Site
- Boating at Ooty Lake.
- Visit Pykara Waterfall
- Get blessing at the Elk Hill Murugan Temple
- Go shopping
- Indulge in mountain biking, angling, trekking or hand-gliding
Coonoor snuggled in the lap of Nilgiris is a picturesque hill station in Tamil Nadu. Nature’s bliss is the lure for spending memorable vacations here. Green tea estates, background of Blue Mountains, waterfalls, lakes, bustling population of wildflowers & birds and pleasant yearlong weather is amazing to explore. Honeymoon couples, families and nature lovers, the town enchants all. Fall in love with the beautiful views, go boating, and explore churches, temples and the scenic charm of the town.
Best Time to Visit Coonoor
October to June.
Things to do in Coonoor
- Explore Sim’s Park
- Visit Hidden Valley
- Picnic at St- Catherine Falls
- Learn about Silk rearing
- Walk through the breathtaking scenery
- Watch the beautiful panorama at Dolphin’s Nose point
Last but not the least we have Kodaikanal on our list of holiday destinations in Tamil Nadu. Settled in the lap of lush Western Ghats, the hill town of Kodaikanal in the local language means “Gift of Forests’. Blessed with beauty, the green landscape, clouds descending on the mountain trails, soothing waterfalls, viewpoints make it a perfect escape from the cities.
Best Time to Visit Kodaikanal
October to June, even monsoons are pleasant.
Things to do in Kodaikanal
- Boating at the Berijam or Kodai Lake
- Savor scenic strolls in the lush environs
- Go trekking to the Dolphin Nose and Pillar Rocks
- Picnic by the Silver Cascade falls.
- Watch your shadow in the clouds at Coakers Walk
- Learn about history at Dolmen Circle
Get ready for incredible vacations with Tamil Nadu tour packages, helping you make the most of your time.
Places Which You Should Not Miss During A Holiday In Rajasthan
Top Places to Visit in Uttarakhand during your holiday
Don’t Miss These 10 Best Places To Visit On Your Holiday To Kerala
Top Holiday Destinations in Maharashtra where you want to visit