The fresh aroma of coffee diffused in the atmosphere, dense greenery, mesmerizing waterfalls, and a peaceful environment makes Chikmagalur an amazing tourist destination. Due to the immense production of coffee, this city is popularly known as the Coffee Land of Karnataka. Explore the best places to visit in Chikmagalur to experience the best of nature.
Chikmagalur is one of the most beautiful hill stations located in the foothills of the Mullayanagiri Range in Karnataka, a state in southwest India. With Karnataka tour packages, you can enjoy a memorable trip to this promising city.
These are the Best Tourist Places to Visit in Chikmagalur in 1 Day, 2 Days & 3 Days
- Mullayanagiri Peak – Free Attraction
- Baba Budangiri
- Kudremukh National Park
- Hebbe Falls
- Kallathigiri Falls
- Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary
- Hirekolale Lake
- Mahatma Gandhi Park
- Horanadu Annapoorneshwari Temple
- Sri Veeranarayana Swamy Temple
- Coffee Museum
- Kodanda Ramaswamy Temple
- Jhari Waterfalls
1. Mullayanagiri Peak – Free Attraction
Mullayanagiri Peak is among the best Places to Visit in Chikmagalur, located in the Chandra Drona range, and attracts numerous adventure seekers yearly. The altitude of the peak is about 2000 meters. Mullayanagiri Peak has amazing natural trekking trails, is surrounded by dense flora, and is renowned as the highest peak in Karnataka in Chikmagalur. There are several points at this peak that offer breathtaking views while trekking. Visitors can also enjoy hiking and camping along with trekking here.
- Location: Chikkamagaluru, Karnataka, India.
- Things to Do: Trekking.
- Distance from the city center: 22 km
2. Baba Budan Giri
Baba Budan Giri is a renowned peak and a tourist destination named after the Muslim saint Baba Budan. The peak is also called Chandra Drona Parvatha and has 3 caves considered pious. These peaks are covered with rich greenery and have various varieties of flowers. Baba Budan Giri is known for its amazing forest range and is also famous for hiking and trekking along the natural trails. It is one of the best spots to visit in Chikmagalur for adventure freaks.
- Location: Chikmagalur taluk, Karnataka, India.
- Things to Do: Trekking, Meditation.
- Distance from the city center:33 km
3. Kudremukh National Park
Kudremukh is a mountain range located in Chikkamagaluru district, Karnataka, southern India. It is one of the best Places to Visit in Chikmagalur. It is surrounded by a peaceful environment, dense forests, and amazing trekking trails, which attract numerous adventure and nature lovers. Kudremukh is one of the most widespread reserves of a tropical evergreen forest. These hill ranges are easily accessible via road.
The mountain ranges of Kudermukh were declared a national park in 1987. It is also the origin point of 3 important rivers: Tunga, Bhadra, and Netravati.
- Location: Mudigere Taluk Chikmagalur district, Karnataka, India
- Things to Do: Trekking, photography, bird watching
- Distance from the city center: 106 km
4. Hebbe Waterfalls
Hebbe falls is a unique place to visit in Chikmagalur for couples and friends to enjoy a perfect day. It is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the natural scenery. Enjoy trekking at the natural trails that lead to the wonderful waterfalls.
It is believed that its water contains medicinal herbs that cure various diseases. Biologists and scientists across the globe visit this place to research the medicinal property of the water. The height of the fall is about 170 m high.
Read here: Top Waterfalls Destinations in India
- Location: Kesavinamane, Karnataka 577131
- Things to Do: Photography.
- Distance from the city center: 65 km
5. Kallathigiri Falls
Kallathigiri Falls is one of the most enchanting waterfalls near Kemmanagundi, Tarikere taluk of Chikmagalur district, Karnataka. The highlight of the Kallathigiri Falls is that there is a temple between the falls, which attracts a large number of devotees. The fall is surrounded by plush natural beauty and also offers natural trekking trails. Visitors can also enjoy camping here for a thrilling experience.
- Location: Chikmagalur, Kallathgiri, Karnataka 577129
- Things to Do: Pay Homage, Trekking, Photography, Camping.
- Distance from the city center: 53 km
6. Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary
Get away from the hustle-bustle of city life and enjoy a peaceful trip to the Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary, a heaven for nature lovers. This Wildlife Sanctuary is spread over 490 square kilometers and has the highest tiger population and rich flora.
The Sanctuary is also home to various endangered birds and wild animals such as deer, leopards, etc. Climb Kallathigiri Mountain to enjoy the mesmerizing view from the top of the hill.
Read more: Wildlife in India
- Location: Behind Ranganathaswamy Temple, Tarikere, Lakkavalli, Karnataka 577115
- Things to Do: Jeep Safari, Mountain Climbing, and Wildlife Photography.
- Distance from the city center: 79 km
7. Hirekolale Lake
Hirekolale Lake is a man-made reservoir located in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka and one of the best scenic spots in India. Overlooking the panorama of mountains in the Western Ghats, Hirekolale Lake is one of the must-visit Places to Visit in Chikmagalur. The tranquil environment, pleasant weather, and dense nature are simply jaw-dropping for every spectator in Chikmagalur.
Hirekolale Lake offers stunning views of the landscapes, especially during the sunset, the rays scattering in the atmosphere are a beauty to behold. It also becomes a delight for photography lovers who look to add some best sunset shots to their cameras. The best part is that one can also enjoy the excellent views of Mullayanagiri Hills from this Lake.
Hirekolale Lake can be visited throughout the year, and there is no such entry fee to visit lake. While visiting this beautiful spot, carry a sufficient amount of edible items as there are no such eateries around the lake.
- Location: Hirekolale Road, HirekoLale, Karnataka 577101
- Things to Do: Enjoy sunset views, nature walk, and landscape photography
- Distance from the city center: 10 km
8. Mahatma Gandhi Park
Mahatma Gandhi Park is the right place to visit if you are looking for a pleasant trip with your loved ones. Let your little ones enjoy the toy train ride until you prepare for a delightful picnic.
Roam around the park, click amazing photographs, and enjoy the musical fountain. The park is an excellent short family getaway where you can enjoy it with your little ones. Kids can also enjoy several rides, boating, gaming, and many more in the park.
- Location: Mahatma Gandhi Park, Ratnagiri Bore, Chikmagalur, Karnataka 577101.
- Things to Do: Toy Train Ride, Picnic, Photography.
- Distance from the city center: 4 km.
9. Horanadu Annapoorneshwari Temple
One of the most famous Hindu temples in the Chikmagalur district, it is located on the bank of river Bhadra. It is devoted to the goddess Annapurna – the Goddess of food. Pay homage at the temple and seek blessings of Maa Annapurna. You can also meditate in the tranquil environment or enjoy the natural beauty around.
- Location: Mudigere – Taluk, Chikmagalur – District, Hornadu, Karnataka 577181
- Things to Do: Pay Homage, Meditation, and Photography.
- Distance from the city center: 90 km
10. Sri Veeranarayana Swamy Temple
This ancient temple depicts three shrines together. Seek blessings of the Lord Veeranarayana, Yoga Narasimha, and Gopalkrishna at this temple, one of the famous Places to Visit in Chikmagalur, enriched with ancient Hoysala architecture.
The design of the temple allures visitors with its beautiful artwork. The Hindu devotees also revered the temple, as it is mentioned in Mahabharata, where Bheema killed Bakasura and protected the villagers. Apart from its interesting story and magnificent architecture, the e temple commands a visit.
- Location: Belavadi, Karnataka 577146
- Things to Do: Pay Homage, Photography, and Explore History.
- Distance from the city center: 30 km
11. Coffee Museum
Explore the Coffee Museum and know the history of coffee plantations in South India. The museum runs under the Coffee Board of India and exhibits various documents and maps that provide information about India’s processes and other coffee-growing regions. Get complete knowledge about the coffee-making process starting from plucking and ending with a powdering the coffee beans.
- Location: Dasarahalli, Karnataka 577101
- Things to Do: Explore the Museum, Photography.
- Distance from the city center: 6 km
12. Sharadamba Temple
Located along the banks of the Tungabhadra River in Sringeri town, Sharadamba Temple is an 8th-century magnificent Temple devoted to the goddess of wisdom. According to Hindu mythology, the place had remained a practice spot for an 8th-century Indian philosopher and theologian, Adi Shankaracharya.
The temple is situated in Chikmagalur and is one of the most divine places in the state. Many parents bring their children to seek the blessings of the goddess of wisdom. There is a gold sculpture of the goddess inside the temple, which was earlier made up of sandalwood.
- Location: Harihara St, Sringeri, Karnataka.
- Things to Do: Pay Homage, Witness the Architecture.
- Distance from the city center: 86 km
13. Kodanda Ramaswamy Temple
Located near the River Tungabhadra, this famous Hindu temple is dedicated to Lord Rama. The temple showcases a wonderful blend of the Hoysala and Dravidian styles of architecture. Its facade and interiors are elegantly engraved.
The temple’s main sanctum has Lord Rama’s idols, his younger brother Laxmana, and his wife, Maa Sita. What makes these idols exceptional is that they are carved out of a single rock. The major festival celebrated here is Rama Navami, and devotees across the country flock here to celebrate the festival.
- Location: Hiremagalur, Karnataka 577102
- Things to Do: Worship, Witness the Architecture, Photography
- Distance from the city center: 4 km
14. Jhari Waterfalls
Jhari Waterfall, also known as Buttermilk Falls, is a beautiful place to visit with your loved ones. Surrounded by dense forest and coffee plantations, it is one of the most visited waterfalls near Attigundi in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka. It falls en route to Babam Budangiri or Kemmungandi.
The most interesting fact about this waterfall is that it is formed by springs in the mountains. Get away from the busy city life and unwind in the lap of nature. A pool formed by a waterfall below allows the tourist to take a dip in the cool water, swim and play.
- Location: Jhari water falls path, Inam Dattatreya Peeta, Karnataka 577131
- Things to Do: Trekking, photography, swimming
- Distance from the city center: 22 km
In a nutshell, Chikmagalur is a vacationer’s paradise. It enjoys cool and pleasant weather throughout the year, which is perfect for exploring the Places to Visit in Chikmagalur. Offering a host of attractions for nature –lovers and adventure enthusiasts alike, the place commands your visit for a memorable trip. Although Chikmagalur can be visited throughout the year, the real fun of Chikmagalur vacation is the best time to visit from September to February (Winter Season).