Chardham Yatra consists of four major pilgrimage sites in Uttarakhand – Gangotri, Yamunotri, Kedarnath, and Badrinath. All of them have diverse routes, be it from Delhi, Rishikesh, Haridwar, or Dehradun. You can start your spiritual journey from any one of these places as they are well-connected by motorable roads as well as flights with major Indian cities.
Hindu mythology says that the Chardham yatra is auspicious and should be done clockwise i.e. from West to East. The yatra starts from Yamunotri followed by Gangotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath respectively. You can cover the yatra by road or by helicopter and it allows you to trek through the way to explore adventures on the yatra as well.
In this blog, we have discussed in detail the routes of Chardham Yatra with which you can plan your journey better.
Here are the Complete Details about Char Dham Yatra Routes
- Yamunotri Route
- Gangotri Route
- Kedarnath Route
- Badrinath Route
- Chardham Yatra By Helicopter Routes Map
- Accommodation Facilities on Chardham Yatra Routes
- Food Options on Chardham Yatra Routes
- Tips for Chardham Yatra
How to reach Chardham Sites
The dhams Badrinath and Gangotri can be reached directly by road from Rishikesh, Haridwar, Kotdwar, and Dehradun. For Yamunotri, there is a trek you have to take from Janki Chatti (approx. 210 km from Rishikesh). Similarly, for Kedarnath, there is a trek that starts from Gaurikund (93 km from Rishikesh).
Chardham Yatra Routes
Char Dham Temple: Yamunotri -> Gangotri -> Kedarnath -> Badrinath
These four pilgrimage sites cover a total of approx. 1,607 km starting from Haridwar and ending at Rishikesh. You can also begin your Chardham Yatra from Delhi also.
Here is a 9 day Chardham Yatra route in itinerary –
Day 1: Haridwar – Barkot (220 km, 7 hours)
Day 2: Barkot – Yamunotri (36 km by road, 7 km by trek)
Day 3: Barkot – Uttarkashi (100 km, 4 hours)
Day 4: Uttarkashi – Gangotri (100 km, 4 hours)
Day 5: Uttarkashi – Rudraprayag (180 km, 7 to 8 hours)
Day 6: Rudraprayag – Kedarnath (74 km by road, 20 km by trek)
Day 7: Rudraprayag – Badrinath (160 km, 6 to 7 hours)
Day 8: Badrinath – Rishikesh (297 km, 10 to 11 hours)
Day 9: Rishikesh Departure
Here are the routes of each of the four pilgrimage sites in Uttarakhand, some important places to visit, and a route map to reach them. Take a look Char Dham Yatra Routes!
Badrinath Dham Route Map
- Route to reach Badrinath – Delhi – Haridwar – Rishikesh – Devprayag – Srinagar – Rudraprayag – Karnaprayag – Nandprayag – Chamoli – Joshimath – Badrinath
- Elevation: 3,300 m
- Location: Left of Alaknanda River
- Dedicated to: Lord Vishnu
Places to Visit Near Badrinath Temple –
- Yog Dhyan Badri Temple
- Mana Village
- Neelkanth Peak
- Mata Murti Temple
- Bheem Pul
- Ganesh Cave
- Brahma Kapal
- Vyas Cave
Kedarnath Dham Route Map
- Route to reach Kedarnath – Delhi – Rishikesh – Devprayag – Srinagar – Rudraprayag – Tilwara – Agastyamuni – Kund – Guptkashi – Phata – Rampur – Sonprayag – Gaurikund – Rambara Bridge – Lincholi – Kedarnath
- Elevation: 3,553 m
- Location: Near Mandakini River
- Dedicated to: Lord Shiva
Places to Visit Near Kedarnath Temple –
- Gandhi Sarovar
- Triyugi Narayan Temple
- Vasuki Tal
- Shankaracharya Samadhi
Gangotri Dham Route Map
- Route to reach Gangotri – Delhi – Rishikesh – Tehri – Uttarkashi – Bhatwari – Gangnani – Harsil – Gangotri
- Elevation: 3,200 m
- Location: Banks of Bhagirathi River
- Dedicated to: Goddess Ganga
Places to Visit Near Gangotri Temple –
- Jalmagna Shivlinga
Yamunotri Dham Route Map
- Route to reach Yamunotri – Delhi – Rishikesh – Narendranagar – Chama – Brahmkhal – Barkot – Sayana Chatti – Hamuman Chatti – Phool Chatti – Janki Chatti – Yamunotri
- Elevation: 3,291 m
- Location: Close to the source of Yamuna River
- Dedicated to: Goddess Yamuna
Places to Visit Near Yamunotri Temple –
- Saptrishi Kund
- Divya Shila
- Surya Kund
- Hanuman Chatti
Chardham Yatra in Helicopter
If you want to enjoy the aerial views of the holy sites in India, book a Chardham yatra package by helicopter. Board the helicopter from Dehradun to Yamunotri and from there enjoy the tour to Badrinath by helicopter over the course of 6 to 7 days.
Here is the schedule of Chardham Yatra Routes by Helicopter –
Dehradun to Kharsali by Helicopter
- Departure from Sahastradhara Helipad in Dehradun by helicopter
- Arrival at Kharsali Helipad in Yamunotri
Kharsali to Harsil by Helicopter
- Departure from Kharsali Helipad in Yamunotri by helicopter
- Arrival at Harsil Helipad in Gangotri
Harsil to Kedarnath by Helicopter
- Departure from Harsil Helipad in Gangotri by helicopter
- Arrival at Kedarnath Helipad (Base Camp)
Kedarnath to Badrinath by Helicopter
- Departure from Kedarnath Helipad by helicopter
- Arrival at Badrinath Helipad
Badrinath to Dehradun by Helicopter
- Departure from Badrinath Helipad by helicopter
- Arrival at Dehradun Helipad
Accommodation Facilities throughout Chardham Yatra Routes
There are numerous ashrams and dharamshalas where you can get accommodation at reasonable rates. Along with this, many privately-owned hotels are there with basic facilities and amenities. If you are looking for luxury stays, there aren’t so many on the Chardham Yatra route.
GMVN or Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam provides budget stays with a range of hotels, bungalows, and tourist rental houses in Uttarakhand. Hotels are also available by GMVN on the routes of Chardham Yatra in serene locations.
Food Options on Chardham Yatra Routes
Food has not much variety and is basic but healthy. You will only get vegetarian food with no onions and garlic especially in the vicinity of the temples, particularly Yamunotri. You will find cauliflower, cabbage, and potatoes in a normal sabzi.
Tips for Chardham Yatra –
- Check the weather booking the tour.
- Be kind to fellow yatris.
- Cover your head and remove your clothes before entering the temple.
- Wear a sturdy pair of shoes for easy walking.
- Avoid wearing sarees as it will cause a hindrance in walking (not necessarily).
- Do not litter on the Chardham Yatra. Keep Mother Nature clean.
- Stay close to other yatris.
- Pack heavy woolen clothes as the weather is cool at all times. Dress in layers.
- Pack moisturizer, hand creams, and sunscreen to protect the skin from sunburn.
- Keep a medical kit with painkillers, some antibiotics, basic medicines for cough, cold, and fever.
- Keep some snacks with you like biscuits, glucose, dark chocolates, candies, etc.
- Prepare well for the Chardham Yatra as it is one of the most difficult yatras in India and you need to be physically and mentally fit for it.
- Carry extra batteries for your camera and electricity is not available in remote areas.
- Avoid coming to this yatra in the monsoon season as it may cause landslides as well as road blockage.
- If photography is prohibited in some places, respect that. And if not mentioned, always take permission.
- It is best to book your hotels in advance before the opening dates of the temples to avoid the rush of pilgrims and last-minute hassles.
- Alcohol consumption during the yatra should be avoided.
This was the detailed guide on Chardham Yatra Routes. You can visit these pilgrimage spots individually or book Do Dham tour packages from Tourism of India. Chardham Yatra’s complete tour is also available on our website, which you can check out and choose the one you like. You can complete the yatra by road or choose helicopter services. Contact us directly or drop in a query, so that our travel experts can help you plan the Chardham yatra as per your needs and budget.