If you’ve been planning a trip to Ladakh, July is one of the peak tourist months you should consider. From internal roads to accommodation, everything is open and accessible, which makes your travel experience better. The weather is pleasant and all the adventure activities are running. From river rafting to camping, you can indulge in various adventure sports and have the most memorable times of your Ladakh trip.
So, whether you are a couple, solo traveler, or a group of friends, here is a comprehensive guide for ‘How to plan a Ladakh trip in July’ and some important things you must be kind in mind.
Is July A Good Time to Visit Ladakh?
Yes. July is one of the best times to visit Ladakh. During this month, there is a huge influx of tourists from all over the world. Nature lovers, adventurers, honeymoon and romantic couples, and vacationers can be seen enjoying the pleasant weather and activities in Ladakh.
Read Also: Lakes in Ladakh
Weather Conditions in Ladakh in July
As you know July is the month of the monsoon but Ladakh receives little to no rainfall. During this time, the temperature remains between 21°C and at night, it drops to almost 7°C. It is advised to wear warm clothes to protect yourself from the cold.
You can encounter rainfall around Manali, Kashmir, and Lahaul region though. This can result in landslides. So make sure to keep buffer days. Manali to Leh and Srinagar to Leh route might have chances of rain but on top of the high-altitude passes, you can’t expect rain.
To avoid getting stuck due to rain, it is best to plan your trip to Ladakh in the first half of July.
Routes to Reach Ladakh in July
There are two routes for Ladakh – Srinagar Leh Highway and Manali Leh Highway. The Leh-Srinagar road opens in April but the Leh-Manali road opens in June.
Srinagar to Leh by Road in July
In July, the Srinagar to Leh route is open. However, the risk is only of the rain. So, you must have fast-drying clothes and other rain gear to protect yourself and your stuff. The worst road will be around Zojila. There will be a lot of water crossings. Also, traveling from Kashmir Valley, which is a rain-prone area all the way until Drass, you have to keep a check on the weather conditions. Make sure to check the weather forecast and if there are any incidences of landslides, postpone the trip a little.
Manali Leh Highway in July
As July is the monsoon month, Manali to Leh Highway is the worst-hit route. With numerous water streams and five passes, it will be a difficult road to cross. The route is open but how bad the condition is, there is no guarantee. So, if you choose this route, there is a high chance of facing rain and getting stranded for hours if there is a cloudburst. This will increase in the second half of the month, so be prepared or plan early.
Read Also: Ladakh by Road
Is It a Good Option to Arrive Leh Ladakh in July By Bike Over A Car?
Adrenaline, the views, and the experience are the reasons why many people choose to travel to Ladakh by bike. If you are one of them, then go ahead and plan a road trip to Ladakh in July by bike but that comes with its own pros and cons. If you rent a bike in Manali or outside Ladakh, the vehicle will not be allowed in the region. You can only arrive at Leh City and from there, you have to get another bike for local sightseeing and visiting places like Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso, and Tso Moriri.
Other than this, here are some tips for travelers visiting Ladakh by bike in July –
Carry waterproof bags to carry your luggage, if it rains. Wrap them in plastic bags and rope them on your motorcycle.
- Extra plastic bags are a must if the others get ruined.
- As it rains anywhere on the Manali or Srinagar route, it is best to keep your wallets, electronics, and other documents in plastic bags at all times.
- You cannot change your clothes every time they get wet. It is not practical. This is why wear fast-drying clothes that are light in weight and waterproof clothes.
- Get your bike checked to ensure there are no problems with the bike or anything that might cause a short circuit in rain.
- If the tires of your bike are worn out, replace them.
- Wear rubber shoes while water crossing in Ladakh.
Is It a Good Option to Arrive in Ladakh By Car in July?
Yes, you can travel to Ladakh in July by car especially if you have kids and elderly people with you.
- Here are some things you need to keep in mind while planning a family trip to Ladakh in July –
- Do not put luggage on the car’s roof. It can get wet from the rain.
- Carry a small plastic bag and put your essentials and important documents in it.
- Make sure to have extra fuel with you. It will help you in emergency situations.
- If you have extra luggage and you want to keep it on the roof, cover them in plastic bags or tarpaulin.
- Take out all the papers, wallets, and electronic items if you choose to keep the luggage on the roof.
Is It a Good Option to Arrive in Ladakh By Air in July?
Yes, you can travel to Ladakh in July by air but the weather can cause hindrance. The flight can get canceled if it rains too much. This will be a high issue during the second half of the month. So, make sure to check the weather forecast or plan your trip in the first half of July.
Public Transportation in Ladakh in July
Taking public transport services like buses or taxis will not be an issue. You can take buses from Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, and nearby cities to Leh bus stand. From there, shared taxis run to Ladakh on a daily basis.
Read Also: Ladakh by Bus
Local Transport in Ladakh in July
As you know in July, Ladakh sees many travelers, therefore the availability of local transport is great. You can choose taxi drivers beforehand or get a private taxi in Ladakh also. Motorcycles can also be rented on the spot and buses are available to various places in Ladakh.
Road conditions in Ladakh in July
It is a mix of good and bad. You have already read about the road conditions in the routes section. So, you need to be careful while driving a car or a bike. Even for buses, it can be a bit tricky as the roads are covered in mud. There are numerous water crossings too if you are traveling to Ladakh by bike. Slush and water streams will be limited at the top passes and internal roads though.
Places to Visit in Ladakh in July
Here are the top places to visit in Ladakh in July –
- Pangong Lake
- Tso Moriri
- Nubra Valley
- Hansel and Sham Valley (with permits)
- Leh City
- Turtuk Village
- Markha Valley
- Magnetic Hill
- Confluence of Indus and Zanskar Rivers
Things to do in Ladakh in July
The top things to enjoy in Ladakh in July month are –
- Pray with the monks at the monasteries
- Click photos for Instagram
- Indus River Rafting
- Enjoy camel safari at Hunder
- Go on Yak Safari
- Shopping at Leh Market
- Pray at Shanti Stupa
Read Also: Things to do in Ladakh
Festivals Celebrated in Ladakh in July
During July, the barren land comes to life when people enjoy the colorful festivals in Ladakh. To get an insight into the culture of Ladakh, here are the festivals you can attend in July –
- Yuru Kabgyat
- Hemis Tsechu
- Sachukul Gustor
- Ladakh Polo Festival
- Phyang Tsesdup
- Karzok Gustor
- Dakthok Tse Chu
- Sani Nasjal
Where to Stay in Ladakh in July
Every hotel, guesthouse, and camp is open and running in July in Ladakh. Also, this is the time when Ladakh receives a huge number of Indian and foreign tourists which makes getting hotels and guesthouses difficult on the spot.
Tourism of India recommends booking accommodation in Ladakh in July in advance to avoid any last-minute hassle.
Clothes for Ladakh Trip in July
The month of July is warm but it can get a little cold at night or if you sit in the shade for too long. During the night, the temperature drops to 5°C, so you must take proper clothing with you.
Here is the list of clothes to pack for the Ladakh trip in July –
- Windproof and waterproof jacket
- Cotton t-shirts and shirts
- Light woolens for night
- Woolen cap
- Good pair of sports shoes
- Sunglasses and sunscreen lotion
- Cold cream and lip balm
As it rains along the way and sometimes in Ladakh, here are some things you must carry for the July Ladakh trip –
- Rain gear
- Waterproof jacket
- Regular cotton clothes
- Light woolens
- Heavy windproof jacket
- Water-resistant gloves
- Thermal innerwear
Tips for Traveling to Leh Ladakh in July
Keep these few things in mind while planning a trip to Ladakh in July –
- Due to Ladakh’s closeness to the China border, you need to get a permit from the District Magistrate’s Office.
- At such a high altitude, the oxygen levels drop, and being in the new climatic condition can cause altitude sickness. Therefore, it is advised to get acclimatized first. Also, it is very common to get acute motion sickness in Ladakh. Make sure to carry the required medicines with you.
- July is the monsoon month and you will encounter slush and mud on the Manali to Leh Highway. Ensure to drive slowly and if you are crossing a nullah, inspect first and then move forward.
- There can be landslides and road blockage due to the rain. So, keep buffer days in case you get stranded on the way for hours.
- It is not advised to rent a motorcycle in Ladakh. Reach Leh first and from there, rent a bike, test drive it, and then visit further.
- With the massive tourist flow every year, Ladakh’s transport system is improving day by day.
- You can easily hire cabs, buses, and taxis from Ladakh or Leh to explore the region.
- Only the BSNL network works in Ladakh.
- If you have a family with you, make sure to take necessary precautions and if any one of the family members is feeling sick, get to the lower altitude immediately.
- There are no hospitals in Ladakh. The nearest ones are in Leh. So, in case of emergencies, you can seek help from the Indian Army.
Hope this Ladakh travel guide will plan a trip to Ladakh in July. Take all the necessary measures, check weather conditions, and you will have an unforgettable and safe journey in Ladakh. If you have any doubts, contact Tourism of India and our travel experts will clear any doubts you have.
For a hassle-free trip to Ladakh in July, book Ladakh tour packages 2022 and explore Ladakh with the comforts of delicious meals, comfy stays, swift transfers, and wonderful sightseeing tours. So, what are you waiting for?
Frequently Asked Questions for Traveling to Ladakh in July
Ques. Is there snow in Ladakh in July?
Ans. By July, most of the snow is melted and gone. If you want to see snow, visit the passes like Rohtang, Khardung La, and Baralacha La but it will mostly be limited there too.
Ques. Does it rain in Leh in July?
Ans. No. It hardly ever rains in Ladakh in July. If you are lucky enough, you may witness rainfall. Most of the rain occurs at the Manali Leh Highway and Srinagar Leh Highway.
Read Also: Places to visit in Ladakh
Read Also: Places to visit in Ladakh for Couples