Facts And Figures
- Total Population: 30,000
- Best time to visit: October - March
- Languages: Kannada and English
- STD Code: 08272
Mercara, also known as Madikeri, is a famous hill-station in Karnataka. Popularly called the Scotland of India, this is the main town as well as the headquarters of Coorg or Kodagu district. Mist-clad hills, emerald green forest, vast tea and coffee plantations, and picturesque orange groves adorn Mercara.
Mercara, located 1170m above sea level, is 252 km away from Bangalore, 136 km from Mangalore, and 120 km from Mysore.
Best Time To Visit
For a Tour to Mercara, the best time to visit is between the months of October and March.
Since 1600 AD, the Lingayat kings ruled over Coorg and established their capital at Mercara where they built a mud fort. In 1834 AD, the British took over reign here.
Make your Tour to Mercara memorable by visiting these famous tourist places near Mercara –
Places around Mercara
- Madikeri Fort: Positioned in the heart of Mercara, this 19th century fort houses a temple, a chapel, a prison and a small museum.
- Raja's Seat: The legend goes that the kings of Kodagu spent their evenings here. The place is unique for the captivating sunset that you can enjoy from here.
Explore the land of Mercara, visiting the places around it, while on a Tour to Mercara –
Fairs And Festivals
- Nagarhole National Park: This 640 sq km park at the foothills of the Brahmagiri hills, and its animal life is part of India’s first bio-sphere reserve. The park is covered with dense tropical forest, grassy swamps, and several water bodies.
Talakaveri: This place in the Brahmagiri hills is the origin of River Cauvery, one of the 7 sacred rivers of Sapta Sindhus of the Hindu scriptures, situated at about 4,500 ft above sea level.
- Abbey Falls: Located 8 km from Mercara, this is a major attraction for tourists and filmdom alike.
- Dubare: Situated at the edge of Dubare forest, on the bank of River Cauvery, this is primarily an elephant capturing and training camp of the Forest Department.
- Nisargadhama: This is a perfect picnic spot, known for its tranquil beauty, visited by several tourists throughout the year.
Where to stay
- Keil Poldu: It is day in September when the weapons from the martial race that produced two great Indian soldiers- Cariyappa and Thimmaiah - is worshipped.
- Sankramana: On a day in October, several people assemble at Talakaveri to witness the rise of the fountainhead of River Cauvery.
- Huttari festival: This festival is celebrated by the cheerful Kodavas on the occasion of paddy harvesting on a full-moon night in November or December.
Enjoy a comfortable stay while on a Tour to Mercara at the hotels in Mercara, offering a remarkable blend of tradition and modernity. Some of the major hotels in Mercara are Hotel Coorg International, Hotel Mayura Valley View, Hotel Cauvery, Vinayaka Lodge etc.
How To Reach
- By Air:The nearest airport is at Mysore.
- By Rail :The closest railway stations are located at Mysore and Mangalore.
- By Road:Mercara is well-connected by a network of roads, with the Mysore - Mangalore highway passing through the town.