Facts And Figures
- Total Population: 9,000,00
- Best time to visit: October - March
- Area: 13738 sq km
- Languages: Kannada, Hindi, Marathi and English
- STD Code: 0836
A well-known industrial town, Hubli is part of the twin cities of Hubli-Dharwad. A major city of Dharwad district in Karnataka, Hubli is renowned for its handloom textile units and has several cotton ginning and processing mills.
Hubli is situated located 80 km from Belgaum, 160 km from Goa, 420 km north of Bangalore, and 550 km south of Mumbai.
Best Time To Visit
For a Tour to Hubli, the best time to visit is between the months of October and March.
The historic town of Hubli was formerly known as Raya Hubli and also as Elaya Puravada Halli. It was during the reign of the Vijaynagara Empire that Hubli transformed into an important cotton and iron trade center.
Places around Hubli
- Bhavanishankar Temple: This Chalukyan Temple has an image of Sri Narayana, with ten incarnations of God around it.
- Asar: Built in about 1646 AD by Mohammed Ali Shah to serve as a hall of justice, this edifice was also used to safely store two hairs from the Prophet's beard.
- Siddharoodha Math: This eminent religious institution, a centre of Advaita philosophy as preached by Swami Siddharoodha, is located just 2 km from Hubli.
- Unkal Lake: A pictorial water spot with a magnificent sunset view, this perfect picnic spot has green garden, recreational facilities for the children, boating facilities, etc. The lake is 3 km away from Hubli.
- Glass House: As the name suggests, this is a palace of glass, inaugurated by the former Indian Prime Minister, Smt. Indira Gandhi.
Fairs And Festivals
- Navilteerth: Situated 53 km from Hubli, this picturesque spot on way to Ramadurga is ideal for a picnic.
- Sathodi & Mathodi Falls: An ideal destination for trekkers and nature lovers, this Falls on Hubli - Karwar Highway is 85 km away from Hubli.
- Sykes Point: This picnic spot, located 84 km from Hubli, is a nice place to watch nature’s beauty and sunset.
- Ulavia: Positioned near Dandeli, 98 km from Hubli, this is a holy place where Shri Chennabasaveshwar Temple is situated.
Dharwad Utsav: This event comprises of a day-long Hindustani music concert held in the twin cities of Hubli and Dharwad, generally in the month of November. The celebrations are marked by music, dance, theater, painting, Janapada & other events.
Where to stay
Enjoy a comfortable stay while on a Tour to Hubli at the hotels in Hubli, offering a remarkable blend of tradition and modernity. Some of the major hotels in Hubli are Hotel Naveen, The Hans Hotel, The Ashoka Towers Hotel, etc.
How To Reach
- By Air:Hubli has its own airport, located 18 km away.
- By Rail : Hubli is a major rail junction on the Mumbai - Bangalore route and is well-connected to places like Vasco da Gama & Margao in Goa.
- By Road :Hubli is connected by a network of roads to all major cities of Karnataka and also to neighboring Maharashtra and other cities in South India.